TWD Challenge: Summer Fruit Galette

Tuesdays With Dorie:
Summer Fruit Galette

Yes everyone, i'm back from my long winter hibernation break from TWD! not that i've been intentionally hiding or anything, but my trip to Australia has prevented me from revisiting my dearest book for the last 6 weeks. Now its time to return to weekly bakings with Dorie!

so first up, the summer fruit galette (pages 366-367) as chosen by Michelle from Michelle in Colorado Springs. With the liberty to throw in any fruits depending on the season, i decided to go with whatever i could most easily get my hands on.

and ta-da a sweet creation was born under the wraps of the cutest doughnut peaches I found from my local mart as well as mangosteens (queen of fruit) that i had purchased earlier from the wet market. It was a rather strange combination and did not appear to succeed in the colors department as well. But still, they were good, the peaches providing a subtle soft texture to the freshly baked pie and the mangosteens an explosion of sweetness hidden beneath the huge cuts of peaches.

I especially loved the pie pastry which to me was all buttery goodness. I swore i could have eaten it plain if the lovely fruit weren't there. In fact, while doing the mandatory taste test, I was digging out all the fruit first, praying that the crust hadn't softened from the juices exuding out of the stewed fruits, leaving the crisp pie pastry to the last to savor. Absolutely delicious..


hmph, a naughty thought just occured to me. Upon gazing at those sexy pleats on the crumbly pie pastry it reminded me of the kilts of the scottish man holding the secrets to the jewels beneath it. hehe. *smacks* what am i thinking?!? gawd, go dig a hole girl...

oh well, enough of my less than perfect pastry. For more picture perfect renditions, please scroll down the TWD blogroll to sneak a peak at the piping hot galettes!

Just an update for the following weeks TWD activities,

For August 5, Ashlee of A Year In The Kitchen chose:
The Black and White Banana Loaf on page 232.
For August 12, Dolores of
Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity chose:
Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream on page 434.*

Stay tuned!!!

this is an add on to the last TWD posting. Apparently, it has come to my attention that many do not know what mangosteens are! my gosh.. hence here is a simple introduction to the 'queen of fruits'


mangosteens with purplish rind and white pulp.

Taken from Wikipedia: "Botanically an aril, the fragrant edible flesh can be described as sweet and tangy, citrusy with peach flavor and texture. "

An ultra-tropical tree, the mangosteen must be grown in consistently warm conditions, as exposure to temperatures below 40°F (4°C) will generally kill a mature plant.
Due to ongoing restrictions on imports, mangosteen is not commonly available to the public. Following export from its natural growing regions in
Southeast Asia, the fresh fruit is available seasonally in some local markets like those of Chinatowns and rarely in produce sections of grocery stores in North America and Europe. Mangosteen and its related products, such as juices and nutritional supplements, are legally imported into the United States which had an import ban until 2007.

Mangosteen is typically advertised and marketed as part of an emerging category of novel functional foods sometimes called "superfruits"[6][7][8] presumed to have a combination of 1) appealing subjective characteristics, such as taste, fragrance and visual qualities, 2) nutrient richness, 3) antioxidant strength and 4) potential impact for lowering risk against human diseases.

so there you go.. some brain juice amd facts about the humble fruit. If you reside in a western country then it would be rather hard to get your hands on one of this exotic fruits. But do pls try if you see one. You won't regret it!

25 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks good. Glad you enjoyed it. I love this crust recipe, too and could definitely eat it all by itself! Welcome back!

Flourchild said...

Welcome back from your trip to Australia. I love the doughnut peaches, how cute. Your pictures are wonderful. Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

The addition of the almonds is wonderful!

allison said...

Your galette looks great. Almonds are a great addition.

Marie Rayner said...

Welcome back and what a lovely looking galette you made! It looks delicious and I love the almond touch!

Mary Ann said...

wow, what wonderful fruit choices! I am wondering what it tasted like. It looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I saw the doughnut peaches too. They are really cute looking. The buttery pastry sounds so yummy.

Anonymous said...

Your galette looks delicious ~ great job!

Judy said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Sliced almonds! Genius! Your Galette looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Are those almonds on the crust? What a great idea -- everything's better with some sliced almonds!

Prudy said...

Hilarious comparison about the pleats! Talk about mixing two great pleasures! Looks wonderful!

slush said...

Your photos turned out fab, and I love the almonds on top. Perfect touch!

Summertime said...

OMG LOL! I've never heard of a mangosteen and when I first read your post my mind immediately thought you were talking about langosteens. I thought "hmmmm, seafood galette, now that's an interesting choice". Your mangosteen galette looks yummy!

Jaime said...

hope you had a great vacation! mangosteen? mmm! i love those!

Jacque said...

Oooh, what a pretty galette! I didn't think it was possible, lol.

Sounds delish too... but I'm not sure what a mangosteen is...

Mari said...

Welcome back from vay-cay!!! Hope you had a great time! Your fruit combo is the so exotic, well done!

Nickki said...

mmmm, your galette looks gorgeous! I could eat the crust all by itself too, it's the best pastry I've ever made. I've never had a mangosteen before, I'd love to try one.

I love the comment about the pleats! I know what I'll be thinking of next time I make this galette ;)

Anonymous said...

I love your galette. Great pictures! You are so funny. I love the comment about the kilts. Hee Hee!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE that you used mangosteens! I wanted to try them, but they were SO EXPENSIVE!

I also love the image of the men in kilts! Ha!

Your galette looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about wanting to just eat the pastry... delish! Yours looks fabulous!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Wow! I have nver heard of that type of fruit before, sounds very unique.

Tara said...

So pretty...I like the slivered almonds on top!

Julie said...

I have never in my life heard of or seen a mangosteen. I am intrigued. I'll have to seek one out!

Shandy said...

Oh, delicious! The sliced almonds and sugar on top add to the beauty of your galette...definitely yummy looking. =D

Di said...

Thanks for the info on mangosteens. I've wondered what they are. =) Welcome back to TWD!