Burgers galore: Soho Coffee vs Fatboy Burgers


I've been obsessed with burgers lately.

I'm obsessed with the magnitude of toasted done-ness to the bun heads. A sprinkle of sesame seeds over the top, good. Generously buttered surfaces, even better. Sometimes I admit to being a snob for good patties where the ratio of fats to meat accentuates a perfect balance of robust carnivorous bite, tenderness and juiciness. Recently, I got down to trying Fat Boy's the Burger Bar located along Joo Chiat Road. A winning joint combining a liberally nonchalent atmosphere with the likes of beer and burgers served way into the night; I was praying to be dazzled. Since I felt like an ordinary burger, I dived in for the Wimpy in beef ~ Single beef chuck patty, crispy bacon, cheddar cheese and fried egg with homemade Fatboy's sauce.


In all honesty, I walked out of Fatboy's feeling a need to tell you guys about the alternative souped up version at Soho Coffee Boutique. Just look at that succulent beef patty below... it's self explanatory, we'll just let the pictures do the talking. (fyi, every bite was a slice of heaven; long wait... totally worth it)


a close up of Soho's burger ($15)

Fatboy's signature burger was a major let-down with a over-seasoned patty encompassing strangely stringy textured minced that crumbled in a disorderly fashion when sliced. Perhaps it's the fillers or the done-ness of the it that was exaggerated (I swore I ordered a medium that emerged more on the matured side). The sesame buns, well buttered were a delight to eat. Otherwise, quite a disappointing experience.

Craving for a good burger? Head on down to Soho Coffee instead and while you're at it, grab a coffee as well; they do it pretty good!


Soho Coffee
36 Armenian St, #01-08 (Corner of Hill St & Loke Yew St, fronting Loke Yew St)
Singapore, Singapore 179934
tel: 6634 7977

Fatboy's The Burger Bar
465 Joo Chiat Road
Tel : 6346 6081

No comments: