you question my intentions

Now who can deny a spread of food in the colors of a rainbow? Sure caught your attention didn't I?

Photobucket


my intentions? Purely to make you (and you)salivate. No questions ask. It's revenge time for the many occasions I was caught staring at the screen of beckoning cuisines whilst chomping down on a humble (but nonetheless yummy) bowl of left-over fried rice and preserved olive vegetables on the side.

Photobucket


If you're still wondering the whereabouts of this yummy spread, let me enlighten you. It's the Saffron buffet at the Atlantis, Palm Jumeirah. An obvious crowd pleaser, the premises were packed to the brim on a Thursday night, bustling with conversations bouncing off the tables, the conservative whispers of large groups building to a crescendo of sing-along when the birthday boy gets picked out by the service staff.

Photobucket


As much as I feel buffets are over-rated, blaming it on my poor digestive organisation tactics; the buffet at Saffron really wasn't half as bad as I assumed it to be. Looking the part of a buffet lovers dream, the counter tops were spotless, overhead lights highlighting only the essence of the food showcased in its radius of illumination.

To start off, why not scuttle off the fresh seafood counter for fresh lobsters, prawns and mussels?

Stay away from the grilled fishes though. Reeked of a musky fishy taste in my opinion.

Photobucket


Another word of caution/good news to you bread fanatics out there. The bread counter looks spectacular and taste that way too. A visit to this booth can prove fatal if you don't pull the reigns of self-control tighter.

The cold starter station is another delight, with fresh combinations of produce plated up in the most artful way. Tickling the visionary sensors, most of the dishes served there actually taste good despite the rather random pairings. Try the chef's special (featured below) and the Thai mango salad.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Perhaps the more satisfying of cuisines available is the Chinese counter. The dim sum proving to be better than certain independent establishments. Take a stab at the tempura counter as well, I adore the wasabi mayonnaise sauce. *Beams*

Photobucket


If you must have your prata, ask for fresh ones. Extra crispy? With an egg enveloped? You could probably get anything you want if you dare ask.

Photobucket


Then let's take a detour to the cheese counter. My breath turned to a series of shallow gasps when I shifted my glance to the golden spread. Brie and the smelliest blue cheese, I had my fill accompanied with a myriad of nuts, pistachios and walnuts along with a handful of savoury crackers. Now, I had just died and gone to heaven with this one.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Finally, as the highlight of a buffet often is for me, I controlled my silly urge to start and finish with desserts; not wanting to look like a glutton. Pacing myself "slowly", to allow my contented dinner partners to reach a stage of fulfilment paving the way towards a sweet ending; so that a trip back from the dessert counter to the communal table wouldn't look like an act of a blanket wetter.

So pardon me as I proceed with my bombardment of dessert photos.

After all, if their looks sell, we'll be more forgiving of the less than satisfying quality yes?

Photobucket


Tiramisu. devoid of spirits.(literally)

Photobucket


Photobucket


The others were just unbearably sweet. The best bet would be sticking to the ice creams, especially the lemon sorbet and vanilla ice cream combined with a fresh crepe filled with chocolate. *tingling spine*

Photobucket


Photobucket


Another winner, the chocolate mousse, as unassuming as it was, the dessert all dressed up in a martini glass had a velvety texture with a beautiful symphony of bittersweet chocolate after taste. The best of the lot.

Photobucket


And which buffet is complete without a chocolate fountain? Spewing off warm, alluring and deviliciously seductive, take your pick from the speared condiments and go ahead, stick it in there and indulge yourselves. You only live once.


Photobucket


Saffron
Atlantis, Palm Jumeirah. Dubai
tel: 04 426 2626

Seafood night: DHS 195 per person
6.30pm - 11pm

No comments: