The Best of Year 2012

I hope it isn't too late to do a self reflective piece for the past year. This year has definitely been an epic one, filled with unexpected opportunities and in return, lots of hard work. Since most of it was spent overseas in Australia, most of my experiences were foreign and frighteningly new. Still, I lived and learnt. After all, that's life. At the end of it all, I return to Singapore, dauntless.

I had this depressing notion that new years day was nothing but an overrated day celebrated by fools around the world despite it being a mere continuation of life's mundane-ties. Then it came to pass that even story books should have chapters, the purpose of it's existence very much applicable to the essence of the new years day celebration. (view here). This time around, the change of location and point of view being predominant. No kidding, but its time to pick up the pace and focus on new goals and resolutions in the coming years. Entering a new phase of life.

My resolutions these year are a mash up of so many things that it almost appears like a disarray of false hope. But more importantly, for the new year, I pray that God grant me strength to manifest my big dreams and reward me with the courage to face new experiences.

What follows is a recap of the previous year. I hope that they inspire you to reflect on the richness of your year.

Single best thing that happened this past year?
Attending Pastry school @ Le Cordon Bleu (Sydney) with a follow up of a 7 month internship at Cheeky Chocolate where I worked with the most fantastic team in the world. Thanks Elicia, Yumi, Adele, Mia, Edwin and Andy for the many good experiences. Chef life just wouldn't have been the same with all those wild nights of drinking games. Tsk. (Read more about my experiences here)

single most challenging thing that happened?
Participating in the Callebaut Hunter Valley Entremet competition. Many weeks of trial and work finally led to a silver medal worthy piece. Never did saw it coming, but with the encouragement of my dearest Chef Andre, I pulled through.

What was an unexpected joy this past year?
My nga nga, who stuck with me relentlessly through my overwhelming negativity.

Pick three words to describe 2012
surreal, restorative, tough

Best dining experience in 2012
That would be dining in the Qantas first class lounge in Sydney terminal. A big thank you going out to Darryl who pulled a fast one to grant us access. Who would have thought we would be dining on lavish fare in slippers...

In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
catching up with many relationships that I have neglected over the past years and most importantly reuniting with the girls (you know who you are!)

What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
Once you decide on your occupation... you must immerse yourself in your work. You have to fall in love with your work. Never complain about your job. You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That's the secret of success... and is the key to being regarded honorably -- taken off "Jiro dreams of Sushi"

Lastly, Happy new year to all my readers. In this new year, eat sweet and stay sweet always!

I'll leave you with some shots of my works over at BakersWorld through the festive season... Stay tuned for my next post on the season of festive gorgings!

DSC_0158_zpsb21ed9c1

Log cakes designed by yours truly for the Xmas sales. Chocolate Banana logcake versus Mango, White Chocolate and Coconut log.

DSC_0134_zps38bbb269

IMG_5965_zpsa3bdd02e

Chinese New Year cookies already up for grabs and available for corporate orders as well.

IMG_5953_zps165e530c

IMG_5919_zps644abc1f

No comments: