How to curb your XLB cravings.

Photobucket


For a short period of time during my stay in Sydney, I suffered a crazy streak of cravings for Xiao Long Baos that bordered on clinical.

For those whom suffer the same aliments, my suggested solution is Lynn Shanghai Cuisine. Of course there is the ominous shadows of Din Tai Fung to wade out from, but this underdog, a seemingly new player in the market certainly would give the former a good run for its money.

Photobucket


The Sauteed String Beans with bamboo shoots ($12.80) arrived in a cloud of hot smoke at the table. Winter induced hunger pushed me to dive into the dish in all no holds barred consumption with no care for glamour in the wind. My image sacrifice paid off well, the perfectly crisp beans were excellent accompanied by the savoury bits of garlic and meat shards that littered the plate. The bamboo shoots, my paradise, noted that I did have an acquired taste for the delicacy.

Photobucket


The next few dishes that arrived caused some sort of food-induced coma shortly. So be patient with my poor memory.

The Famous Shanghai steamed Pork Buns(6 for $8.80) wasn't your usual derivative and yawn inducing variation. It was 'eye-rolling, murmur escaping lips' kind of good. The thin layer of smooth pastry giving way to a cascade of sweet pork broth followed by a chunk pork goodness. Thin pastry check, sweet intense pork broth, check!

Photobucket


Next up,the Steamed vegetable and Pork Dumplings (6 for $8.80), a beautifully pork together parcel of joy that exuded much gravy from it's moist innards.

Photobucket


And lastly, the Shanghai style fried Pork Bun(6 for $10.80), something a little more interesting to grace the table. These reminded me of the Large pork buns we get in Singapore with a little more finesse, a little more compact and sporting a little burnt bottom just for the slight edge. But of course these were so much more, it resonated through my taste buds, sending jolts of pleasure and bewilderment through my nervous system. The simple combination of crisp, hot soup, blistering pork infused oil, fluffy edges and savory innards offering some form of enlightenment. I was sold.

Lynn Shanghai Cuisine
199 Castlereagh Street Sydney NSW 2000
T: 02 926 777 80
website: http://www.lynnshanghaicuisine.com.au/

No comments: