Spathe Public House: Colour me in


This day, I turned one year older. 

Older, translating significantly into physical ageing as well as a mental maturation. For once in my life, I didn't feel compelled to be so much of a nomad, relationship ties and job commitments weighing heavily on my spirit; I'm guessing it may not be such a bad thing after all since its about time such a change occurred.

Celebrations this year were more toned down, and I took to riding it out in a very hush-hushed manner. My better half decided on Spathe Public House for my birthday dinner and I happily obliged recalling our previous delightful dining experience (read here!)



Good as accompaniment to your drinks, the Spathe Garlic Fries ($8) are a force to be reckoned with. Knocking out unsuspecting victims with its pungent aroma and delightful bits of crispy garlic tossed in a fiery paprika type dry seasoning. Note that portion sizes are huge, encouraging the act of sharing around the table.

Speaking about sharing, Spathe does their signature Sangria (white/red) in pitchers too, perfect for 2 normal drinkers like us (*gulps*).


Starters came in the form of Lewis Apple Wood Smoked Salmon ($17). As we were told by Chef Michael Lewis, salmon is smoked in-house with apple wood chips, imbuing the delicate fish with a smoky yet slightly sweet flavor. This served alongside fresh tomatoes, dollops of labneh (yogurt) and crisp toasted ciabatta, was to me, the perfect appetiser to kick start a ravenous appetite over the table.



The Traditional Jaela ($22) may sound foreign, but to put it simply, it's fish and chips, Peruvian style. Encased in a golden tempura-like batter, the fish is crowned by a colourful spanish onion salad, it's slight acidity working magic with the creamy ancho chilli mayonnaise dressing.  For a little more resemblance to South American cuisine, tapioca fries are used instead of the run-of-the-mill chips. An exotic find that I thought would be ideal for filling up a taco. I digress, fish tacos.. my next big nemesis. 

For him, the Blackened Kurobuta Pork Chop ($26) stuck well to the guts. Note, those who can't take spicy food should stay away from this offering. The blackened spice constituting of 3 kinds of peppercorns has got a major kick in its step. Flanked once again by another unconventional choice of carbs, the sweet potatoes are perfect for mopping up that delicious gravy with. Charred corn and crispy quinoa provide textural contrast to the dish, and are excellent accompaniments to the hunk of meat.


Spathe Public House may not be on your radar for the latest hipster joints to check out in Singapore, but take my word for it, YOU HAVE TO! With it's solid repertoire of decent priced mains and mammoth-sized signatures, this hidden find may (I guarantee) just become one of your regular haunts in time to come.

Spathe Public House
8 Mohamad Sultan Road
#01-01
S(238958)
t: 67351035
w: www.spathepublichouse.com

Operating Hours:
Mon-Fri: 12pm - 11pm
Sat - Sun: 10am - 11pm

No comments: