To the top of the world and back

thank you to all the pple who have sent their bdae greetings...feels good to be remembered somehow...

During the short four days of my disappearance, I've been to the top of the world and back down... Finally after all that hype from my parents (who happen to my adventure junkies too!) and a little gentle persuasion from some of my fellow odac mates who happen to be considering the trip, I made a last min. decision to sign up for the trip.
So it was MOUNT KINABALU!!! HERE I COME!!
I was all game for the climb till a few days before then I realise what i've got myself into.. Its the highest peak in south-east asia we're toking about here. And to sum it all up, I had a nasty ankle injury, no prior training to speak of thus no stamina to vouch for.. My goodness..I've got nothing to depend on at all... I began to wonder whether I had made a wrong choice..
Oh well, in the end it all paid off. The trip was good-natured fun despite for the minor crop ups that happened for example in the itinery which basically saw the movement of all the slack days to the front of the trip. Not too bad an idea if u were planning a slack trip just for leisure purposes. But.. we're scaling Mt K.! *slaps forehead*... all the good food, hot spring-ing.. Groanz. But nonetheless, the tree-top walk and the white-water rafting were fantastic..and not forgetting the people who went on the trip. Without fun people around, it would never equate to a fun trip... Serene, Peiqin, Hui Juan, Hui Fang, Grace, Zhen Han, Eugene, Munir and many many more...thanks a whole load guys!!!
view from outside my hostel window

Scaling up the mountain was a whole new experience altogether since I was never climatised to such heights, my lungs and heart had to work doublely hard to pump enough oxygen into my blood. Hence most of the time, light-headness and difficulty of breathing were my worst enemies. Every step up the never-ending flight was like squeezing the life out of my thigh muscles...at one point of time I thought they were gonna BURST! As we ascended higher up into the clouds and mist, the air naturally became thinner and breathing became a chore, my limbs felt like lead and I had to stop every now and then to rest my fatigued muscles.. But I pressed on with the guide right in front of me... took me 4hrs to Laban Rata Lodge at 11 000ft.. one hour ahead of the rest. My God..should I have known I wouldn't have pushed myself so hard!!!Thank goodness for my two fellow companions Hui Juan and Hui Fang who followed closely behind.. after which we allowed our photowhoring nemesis take control... GROOVY shots!!!














after a mere 2 hrs of sleep (which much difficulty), we embarked on the remaining journey up the mountain to the peak.. What was left of the route was steep granite cliffs and exposed flat terrain. All this put as at maximum exposure to the strong chilly winds and the icy cold temperatures which dipped to a low of 4 degrees near 3am in the morning. We climbed on, with only thought in mind; '' To reach the summit". Just that was enough to spur me on towards the summit. For me, it was a trip of agony, every step up the rocky granite slopes being a test of mental strength. My ankle failed on me as trudging up the inclined slopes required strength from the calves and ankles which I failed to possesed. Hence it was a horrifying experience for me. With the chillness of the morning air, the magnificant blanket of stars overhead, the darkness of the night sky and the constant encouragement of my frens, I pressed on towards the peak. Alas, in time to catch the sun rise and even had a little time to spare to catch a hot sip of milo courtesy of the trip IC Eugene. I was more than grateful as the frosty winds nipped at our skin, the deadly cold reached even till the insides and my hands were numb. Again, I've only got myself to blame for not bringing a pair of gloves along... Heh.

But soon the sun rose and like a great ball of fire, heated the land within the reach of its warm rays. I was awed by the spectacular views that greeted me all of which were a scene of black before the sun rose from its deep slumber.



Thank You God for making this wonderful world... and for opening my eyes to see your beautiful creations.














oh..did I mention that the climb down was worst than the climb up. My knees and ankles morphed into a pile of woobly jelly. gosh, time to recover and recuperate! Will be off to Vietnam tmr and be back by 1st Jan! Gosh.. I reallie need a breather... Kk, back to packing.
Okie after much discussions with Zhen Han Kor, I realised tt there a million and one places I wanna go before get old and immobile. To name a few, they would be Titiwangsa, New Zealand (to do extreme sports!!!), Europe, Mt Kilamanjaro and many many more!!! Gosh, reallie gotta start planning all my hols..optimise the use of all my holidays!!! only problem is the cash flow... Hmph..dun worrie..i'll work my magic.. Tee hee...

Here's a collage to summarise the whole trip. I'VE CONQUERED MOUNT KINABALU!!!


No comments: