OverEasy (Orchard): I'll let it slide easily.


Familiarity breeds contempt and in my case, too many good burgers made a food snob out of me. 

Overeasy used to occupy a top spot on the score board, right up next to the Black Swan's saucy pileup of seasoned chuck patty and mature cheddar plastered over head; however, my most recent trip to Overeasy's second venture onto the bustling streets of Orchard Road resulted in a rather distasteful burger experience. The drastic performance standards between the two outlets, somewhat of a mystery I couldn't quite comprehend.


Adopting the same 'too-cool-for-school' and 'smack-that' attitude, Overeasy Orchard's luminous signs draws in the crowds from miles away, the flurry of excitement in the dining room drawing references to its One-Fullerton undertaking. Quick interactions with the casual floor staff left me at ease and I awaited my food with as much anticipation as a young puppy expecting it's master's return.


Sure enough, the starters were stunning. Revolutionary. Breakfast Nachos ($20) - whoever told you you can't have nachos for breakfast must be absolutely dreary in the imagination department. Think fluffy scrambled eggs, a slurry of warm cheddar cheese sauce, chunky guacamole interspersed between nooks and crevices with hints of spice from the tangy salsa drizzled liberally over the mess. Words escape me. I must have finished 80% of the dish on my own. In complete silence, no less. I like to think I chew with my mouth closed, even stuck in the most delicious of messes; but we all know that's a lie.


Quite contrary to the previous dish, The 'To-die-for' Burger  ($22) didn't make me want to spread my legs with benevolence, instead, it forced me to contemplate clubbing the kitchen staff to a certain death - only because I spoke with so much conviction for this burger, being one of the best to my other half, and when it failed to deliver, it made me look bad - no kidding, I take my burgers VERY seriously. The patty of inferior chuck quality and its seasoning not mixed thoroughly, resulting in uneven spots of ghastly saltiness in between dull, tasteless bites.

Thank goodness for the Reuben Pastrami Sandwich ($18) that reinstated the competency of the kitchen. Homemade sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and 168 hour cured pastrami in between sheaths of gold crusted bread slices, crisp from a religious even coating of butter on both sides before being pressed into submission. Dear Reuben, I will return for you. Promise.



OverEasy (Orchard)
41 Orchard Road,
#01-01 Liat Towers
S(238881)

Operating Hours:
Tues - Sun: 11am - 11pm

No comments: