Hakata Ikkousha Ramen: where the broth and boiled eggs runs freely


Hakata Ikkousha basically takes the heritage of Tonkotsu Ramen and combines it with the happiness that its' ramen is to bestow onto people. Chef Kousuke, after holding the reigns for Singapore's Ultimate Ramen Champion for two years has gone on to open his second Singapore-based restaurant in CHIJMES.

It's menu is easy to comprehend with range of variations that allows for a bit of personal flair. Feeling a bit flat-lined from work, I opted for the straightforward Ajitama Tonkotsu ($14) which is composed of ramen steeped in boiling water and served in a collagen rich pork bone broth and then some razzle dazzle injected in with the lava-centered Ajitama (seasoned egg). It was an undeniably intense dish, that showed the energy and skillfulness of the chef with a great respect of tradition along the lines of Japanese cuisine. The spoonfuls of creamy soup catapulted themselves into my mouth at the slightest encouragement and I appreciated the Chef's easier touch on salt as compared to many other local versions. I did not fancy the noodles however , finding that it's anorexic proportioning did not work well with the full-bodied flavors of the broth. 

As much as I fancy the soup, the noodles for me was the weakest player in the team that would probably hinder me from a return visit. That's just me, I'll let you be the judge.



Hakata Ikkousha @ CHIJMES
30 Victoria Street
#01-07 CHIJMES

Operating Hours:
Mon-Sat: 11 30am - 10pm
Sunday: 11 30am - 9pm

No comments: